Medical biochemistry, as a subject, incorporates the study of biology and chemistry of functioning of human life. Knowledge of Biochemistry is vital to the understanding of Physiology of life. The curriculum integrates the detailed structure and functions of Protein, Fats, Carbohydrates, Nucleic Acids, Enzyme Reaction mechanisms, Nucleic acids replication and re combination, Membrane trafficking, Biochemistry of Bacterial and animal viruses etc.
The Department of Biochemistry offers advanced course in biochemistry. The department offers meticulously designed training methodology in experimental skills to enable the students to pursue research in areas of Biology. At present, the department provides training and carries out research in the areas of immunology, protein biochemistry, molecular biology, neurobiology, molecular biophysics, bioenergetics, molecular virology, molecular genetics and Drug design. The curriculum is designed to:
- Train the undergraduate and postgraduate medical students as per the University guidelines.
- Encourage the staff to update the recent biochemical concepts and engage in research activities.
- Conduct journal club, clinical case discussion for postgraduate students.
- Conduct seminars, guest lectures and CME to impart the interdisciplinary nature of biochemistry.
- To provide quality clinical chemistry laboratory services.
The Department of Physiology aims at providing students in-depth knowledge of human physiology through class room teaching and direct observation in specialized labs for hematology, clinical physiology and human experiments. The labs are equipped with advanced systems such as sperometers, 4 channel physiograph, ECG, EMG, Ergo Graphs & Polygraphs that aid in both teaching and research. Expansion plans include an autonomic function lab, pain neurophysiology lab and Electrophysiology lab.
The department has facilities for:
- Training U.G and P.G students
Following training facility for undergraduates are available:
- Common Lecture Hall with A V aids
- Practical hall with all required facilities
- Tutorial rooms with audio visual facility and provision for interactive teaching
The branch of biology that deals with the study of structures of human beings is referred to as Anatomy. Dissection of cadavers forms the corner stone in learning Anatomy. The curriculum ranges from Grass Anatomy, Osteology (Study of Bones), Histology (study of tissues) to embryology and applied Anatomy. The department of Anatomy is situated in the preclinical block of medical college campus.
The department of Anatomy at Rajarajeswari Medical College and Hospital stands out in its uniqueness. The section is marked with a huge dissection hall that has good ventilation &. attached to the dissection hall is the embalming room with storage tanks for preservation of the cadavers. The cleanliness is always maintained and is under observation by our trained attenders. The students are given a combination of lectures, visual presentations and dissections to ensure that they understand every aspect of the body from head to toe thoroughly.
The department also comprises of:
1. The Histology Practical Lab which is spacious and well equipped with USB 2 digital camera. Students are individually provided with microscopes for the study of slides. Adjacent to it is the research lab where all necessary equipments are available for research purpose.
2. Further there are lecture halls, departmental library, & well furnished staff rooms. And the dissection hall comprising of bone and meat cutting machines, embalming room, storage tanks and cooling cabinets for dead bodies and dissection tables.
3. The museum is one of the highlights to the department where specimens both dry and wet are neatly arranged.
4. The Department Library consists of adequate books for the study references of the students. Add to this, two demonstration rooms are provided for Osteology classes in smaller batches of students and also to conduct tutorials and seminars.